Special Course for ASEAN Diplomats
At the 4th India-ASEAN Summit held at Kuala Lumpur on 13 December 2005, the Prime Minister of India announced a training programme for diplomats from the ASEAN countries to be conducted in India. The Sushma Swaraj Institute of Foreign Service, in coordination with the ASEAN Secretariat, conceptualized a programme called, “Special Course for ASEAN Diplomats” and the first such course was held in 2006 with the participation of 24 diplomats from the ten ASEAN countries. Following the 6th India-ASEAN Summit in 2007, this training programme became an annual feature under the aegis of the India-ASEAN Cooperation Fund. From 2018 onwards, SSIFS has been fully funding the programme including bearing expenditure on travel of the diplomats, their boarding, lodging in New Delhi and local transportation.
The course for ASEAN diplomats has now emerged as an important programme on SSIFS’ calendar, especially in the context of our Dialogue Partnership with the ASEAN. Orienting the ASEAN diplomats and giving them proper understanding of India and its policies has become a vital ingredient for the success of India’s Dialogue Partnership with the ASEAN countries and dovetails with our Act East Policy.
The ASEAN Programmes held till now at SSIFS are as follows:
1 1st Special Course for ASEAN Diplomats – 21 August – 21 September 2006
2 2nd Special Course for ASEAN Diplomats – 14 August – 13 September 2007
3. 3rd Special Course for ASEAN Diplomats – 12 August – 11 September 2008
4. 4th Special Course for ASEAN Diplomats – 19 August – 18 September 2009
5. 5th Special Course for ASEAN Diplomats – 18 August – 16 September 2010
6. 6th Special Course for ASEAN Diplomats – 16 November – 16 December 2011
7. 7th Special Course for ASEAN Diplomats – 21 November – 21 December 2012
8. 8th Special Course for ASEAN Diplomats – 13 November – 13 December 2013
9. 9th Special Course for ASEAN Diplomats – 18 November – 18 December 2015
10. 10th Special Course for ASEAN Diplomats – 21 September – 21 October 2016
11. 11th Special Course for ASEAN Diplomats – 09 August – 09 September 2017
12. 12th Special Course for ASEAN Diplomats – 14 – 27 November 2018
13. 13th Special Course for ASEAN Diplomats – 14 – 26 October 2019
COURSE METHODOLOGY: Adapted training approach for PCFD is traditional, relying on methods like lecture, group discussion, exercise, case studies, field visits and study tour.
Diplomacy & International Issues
Skills Development Topics
Institutional Visits in Delhi
Besides lectures, and interactive sessions, the curriculum includes visits to various important cultural and historical sites in Delhi and institutions/establishments like Indian Council for Cultural Relations, national Museum, National Handicrafts Museum, Research and Information System, Bureau of Parliamentary Studies and Training Confederation of Indian Industry, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry, Hero Hoda, HCL etc.
India is a country of continental dimensions with its different people, innumerable languages and dialects as well as varied customs and traditions. One of the highlights of the course is he study tour to one or two centres of economic, industrial and cultural important outside Delhi to expose the participants to the diversity of the country and provide them an opportunity to see the country's achievements and capabilities in various fields of endeavour, In the last few courses, participants have visited various cities such as Agra, Goa, Bangalore, Hyderabad etc.
DURATION: One Month
ELIGIBILITY: Five diplomats from each ASEAN countries and 3 nominations from ASEAN secretariat.